Finasteride prevents testosterone conversion to DHT (dihydrotestosterone) in the body and is involved in the BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) development. Also known as Propecia, Finasteride is used for curing male pattern hair loss and also for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia symptoms in men with enlarged prostate. Finasteride (trade names Propecia and Proscar by Merck, amongst others) is a synthetic medicine approved by FDA for curing MPB (male pattern baldness) and BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). It is a type II 5α-reductase inhibitor, an enzyme which converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
Doses of Finasteride
- You can take Finasteride as recommended by your doctor; nevertheless not in larger amounts and not for longer than prescribed.
- It can be taken with glass full of water and with or without food at the same time every day.
- To ensure, this medicine is helping your situations and isn’t causing any harmful effects, your blood might need to be tested often.
- Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
- Missed dose can be taken as soon as you remember; don’t take additional dose to make up the missed one.
- Get emergency medical help in case of overdose.
- In case of overdose, call nearby medical help at once. Symptoms of Finasteride overdose are not known yet.
- Store this medicine at room temperature away from light, heat and moisture.