Vantin is in the group of medicines known as cephalosporin and works by fighting with bacteria in the human body. It is also used for curing several infections that are caused by bacteria. It is an extended spectrum, orally administered, semi synthetic medicine of cephalosporin class. Vantin or Cefpodoxime proxetil is a prodrug and its active metabolite is Cefpodoxime. All of its doses in this insert are expressed in terms of active Cefpodoxime moiety and is supplied both flavoured granules for oral suspension and film-coated tablets. Vantin tablets comprise Cefpodoxime Proxetil equivalent to 200 or 100 mg of Cefpodoxime activity and following inactive ingredients: carnauba wax, carboxymethylcellulose calcium, hydroxypropylcellulose, FD&C Yellow No. 6, lactose hydrous, hypromellose, propylene glycol, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide and sodium lauryl sulfate.
Doses of Vantin :
- You should take Vantin as prescribed by your doctor; however not in larger amounts.
- Vantin can be taken with glass full of water and can also be taken with food.
- The liquid form can be taken with or without food.
- Shake the oral suspension well before use and measure it with a special dose measuring spoon or cup.
- Vantin can cause false results with several medical tests like urine sugar tests.
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember; don’t take additional one to make the missed one.
- Seek medical help in case of overdose; symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain and vomiting.
- Store Vantin tablets at room temperature away from heat, light and moisture.
- The liquid form can be stored in the refrigerator and should be thrown away after 14 days.